Saturday, June 4, 2011

Doors Open Ottawa 2011

This weekend, I went for a long-overdue photoshoot. It's been a while since I've even picked up my camera, but as soon as I saw the list of places open for this year's Doors Open Ottawa event, I knew I had to put aside my homework and make a photo outing. So glad I did! Here are some shots I took at the three churches that I visited...

My first stop was Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church, a small, friendly church located near Chinatown. The church is 'technically' Greek, but the congregation is extremely diverse, so the icons and design embrace a variety of European and North American styles. I loved the simplicity and attention to detail in this church's decor.

illuminate

the good book

IMG_0276srgb

After taking some shots and having a great chat with the Reverend Deacon, I visited a stunning Anglican church called Christ Church Cathedral. There were a lot more people at this one (I came to the Orthodox church as soon as it opened so I was the only one there!). I couldn't resist taking some sneaky shots of the other visitors.

glory

sanctuary

The furnishings and light in this one were a photographer's dream...

quiet

IMG_0345

IMG_0374

IMG_0390

IMG_0330

I then made a quick stop to Knox Presbyterian. It, too, had that fantastic, white "church light" flooding in...

IMG_0454

The shot below is from a glass display near the front of the church. It's part of a banner that got presented to the church at some point—I can't for the life of me remember the details; I just remember that the banner said 'Canada' on it (if anyone from Knox knows more, leave a comment!).

IMG_0457

All of the churches had some fantastic artistic renderings of the Gospel, whether in picture or stained-glass form. It was a bit of a challenge to put an artistic spin on someone else's art, but I had fun trying! The top two photos below are from Christ the Saviour; the bottom two are taken of the stained glass windows at Christ Church.

IMG_0294

IMG_0297vignette

IMG_0342

IMG_0327

I also made a stop at the churches' gardens... here are two shots from the one behind Christ Church Cathedral:

IMG_0398

IMG_0411

That was fun! I'll have to do more exploring next year. Meanwhile, I have a few other photoshoots waiting for me, so you'll see more posts on this blog soon.

Speaking of blogs, I recently started up a personal blog for my writing, artwork, and general musings about life. If you're interested in reading it, click here.

Oksana { Facebook. Flickr. All images are copyright; please ask before using. }

1 comments:

Charleybrown said...

Hi! I stumbled on your comment on Twitter and followed to this post! What a coincidence when I saw that the first church that you visited was Christ the Saviour. I know the pastor from university years but haven't visited his new church so you gave me a sneak peek! Beautiful photos!

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © the twinkling of an eye
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com